Monday, August 16, 2010

Going to the Shore

It has been awhile since I last posted. My second son Jude was born a little over a year ago. I have been struggling to regain balance and center in my life. So, I am revisiting blogging, so that my thoughts and feelings can be articulated.

I heard my son Jared say last night that we were going to the shore soon. He is three and I am surprised daily by the things that come out of his mouth. He is very aware and absorbs so much. We ARE going to the shore in a couple of weeks. The fact that he knew it and spit it out in context (my wife returning from Target with some supplies for our trip) is what amazed me.

As my boys get bigger, I see myself get older, I find myself very uneasy. No longer are my days predictable and self-directed. Instead there is a lot of responsibility riding on my shoulders. Each day seems to intensify the reality for me. They need me -- I am under increasing stress -- my time is not my own -- when can I rest?

I want (desperately) to do this thing called "life" well, and I am am losing control over it -- or so it seems. As I type these words, I recall the truth that God is in control. There is truly too much to do, so I must learn, and remember, to do only the best things. This requires discipline and a deep connection to the source of true power.

Without trying to sound clich
é, I believe herein lies the value of being centered -- remembering my priorities and staying true to them through the storms of life. I need God to be my North Star--Fixed and Reliable. I get overwhelmed and discouraged and distracted and weary. I need a Love that is unchangeable to propel me to action.

The shore is just a couple weeks away. I pray that the time away, enjoying the blessings of family, will realign me. May my ears be open to God's truth, so that I can be restored.

No comments: